Wednesday 23 October 2013

Development of Studio Brief 3

Following on from my research into manipulation methods of Type, I've been thinking more specifically about the Typeface I would like to choose to represent Katie. Again I'll recap and explain how I would like to choose something that is cool, but not flashy, for that reason I've been leaning towards a sophisticated Sans Serif type. I still believe the key to this project will be in the physical act of manipulation, I wouldn't want to just pick something that spoke 'Katie' straight away, I'd like it to be more conceptual than that.

I've already mentioned how we looked at each others handwriting as a source of inspiration for our Typeface, what I took from that was that Katie's lower case handwriting had a consistently high x-height, an aspect I considered when searching for mine.


To start me off I've acquired Adobe Font Folio 11, and that's given me a wide range of fonts to choose from.



With consideration towards my criteria, I'm now leaning towards 'Verdana' designed by Matthew Carter in 1996. This fits what I was looking for to an extent: The x-height is aptly high, it's a cool Sans Serif, and it even has a similar roundness to the characters much like Katie's handwriting. I personally really like Verdana, it's a great Typeface and I'm looking forward to playing around with it. I'll reiterate how I feel the main impact of this project will come from the manipulation I provide in order to customise it even more to suit Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment