Tuesday 4 February 2014

Album Artwork Artists







I'm going to start by looking at some posters I have hanging on my bedroom wall, it's worth mentioning that Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd are two of my favourite bands, and I'm aware that they both have significant connections to Album Artists, most notably of which: Storm Thorgerson (1944 - 2013). He has numerous album design credits under his belt, and he's responsible for a almost all the Pink Floyd albums, as well as 4 of Led Zeppelins. He was still working in album cover design recently as well, right up until his death last year; contemporary bands/artists he's worked for include Muse & Biffy Cliro. He's a pretty comprehensive list of the work he's done:


The Led Zeppelin poster I have though isn't by Thorgerson, that's a Shepard Fairey. He's another artist who has excelled in cover art, I can think of 3 that I particularly like:




Notice the consistency of colour with the first albums, even though they're for different artists, Fairey must clearly have some kind of affiliation with these colours. I really love the style he works in, this kind of minimalist vector graphic could be a really nice option if considered appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment