Wednesday 29 January 2014

Old Signage Type

I was recently in York, when I made a note of a lot of the old decorative signage that's dotted about the city. What I've seen is totally relevant to my type journal, however due to the nature of the type it's going to difficult to categorise and and recognise some of the fonts.


Unknown hand painted typographic sign.


This is Gill Sans, which is fluent throughout the national railway; for me Gill Sans is the essence of British Typography, purely because of so it's so many uses throughout British culture including: The BBC, National Rail & The London Underground, Penguin Books. Even the government have been known to use it:

Name: Gill Sans
Released: 1926
Designer: Eric Gill
Style: Gothic
Classification: Humanist
Suggested Origin: Lead




Whether these hand painted typographic signs are old as they suggest is unknown to me, still it's a beautiful piece of art. Again, Gill Sans is among the selection.


Again with the age of the signs it's difficult to pinpoint a specific typeface, they're still relevant to my practice though and it helps me appreciate that the media a Type is represented in can be equally as impressive as the Type itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment