Monday 13 January 2014

Ice Cream Brands

For the final part of my dessert inspired project, I want to brand an imaginary Ice Cream Parlour chain. This last brief was to be problem inspired, from something that arose from our earlier research, and I saw this opportunity as I saw a gap in the market for a national chain of ice cream shops/parlours. I guess it's because it gets really cold in the UK throughout the winter months and people aren't as interested in summer foods. However I personally love Ice Cream all year round, and after chatting with peers they agree there is a bit of a hole in this market.

I'm briefly looking at brands that are of a similar nature, so I've got some idea of what angle I could come from. I already have a couple of ideas in terms of style, and I'm thinking a minimal solution could be appropriate here. Here are a couple of things that I've researched in order to better understand the things that already exist:

Daria mentioned a Portuguese brand of Ice Cream call Santini, which is fluent throughout Portugal: here's a look at their website, which I'm impressed with, I like the minimal yet sophisticated design:


This is the kind of thing I'm striving to design. The first thing I want to think of though is a concept, something I can apply to the chain. Once I get this sorted I imagine it will inform all the rest of the design elements, like the logo, the name, the stationary etc.

Here are other Ice Cream brands that aren't (inter)nationally recognised as a places you can go to sit down for an ice cream, but they represent the subject:

 

It's also worth mentioning English Lakes Ice Cream, they're a brand of organic Ice Cream from Cumbria. I'm not biased or anything but they make some of the best Ice Cream I've tried. Anyway, the point is that you can go to most built up places in the Lake District and the chances are there'll be a place that sell it. However, only in cafes and restaurants etc. they don't have their own parlours, again this reflects the gap in the market that I propose my brand will fill. Here's the website, it's not great in terms of design, but that can be forgiven due to their delicious ice cream. By the way my favourite flavour that they make is Thunder & Lightning™ which can be described as 'an explosive mix of chocolate and cinder toffee'.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment